Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on telegram
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Shante Turay-Thomas: Human error factor in allergy death - BBC News

A teenager with a severe nut allergy died in part because of human error, a coroner has ruled.

Related Articles

Shante Turay-Thomas, 18, had a severe reaction to eating a hazelnut.

The inquest heard a series of failures meant that an ambulance took more than 40 minutes to arrive at her home in Wood Green, north London.

Her mother Emma Turay, who said she felt “badly let down” by the NHS, wants an “allergy tsar” to be appointed to help prevent similar deaths.

The inquest heard call staff for the NHS’s 111 non-emergency number failed to appreciate the teenager’s worsening condition was typical of a severe allergic reaction to nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT

A telephone recording of the 111 call, made by her mother, at 23:01 BST on Friday 14 September 2018, revealed how the 18-year-old could be heard in the background struggling to breathe.

ADVERTISEMENT

“My chest hurts, my throat is closing and I feel like I’m going to pass out,” she said before asking her mother to check how long the ambulance would be, then adding: “I’m going to die.”

‘Very sorry’

The inquest heard Ms Turay-Thomas had tried to use her auto-injector adrenaline pen, however it later emerged she had only injected a 300 microgram dose, rather than the 1,000 micrograms needed to stabilise her condition.

It also emerg Read More

Leave a Replay

Recent Posts

Recent Posts

January Q&A from Instagram

Hello! I’m answering a pile of new questions about running, eating and my life. If you’re new to Run Eat Repeat – follow me on Instagram @RunEatRepeat . You can

Read More »

January Q&A from Instagram

Hello! I’m answering a pile of new questions about running, eating and my life. If you’re new to Run Eat Repeat – follow me on Instagram @RunEatRepeat . You can

Read More »

Latest Articles

Recommended 

Clippednews goes Social Media